Several months ago Greg encouraged me to join him in a game of racquetball. I protested because I had never played before and felt like I would surely make an idiot out of myself. However, Greg assured me that it didn't matter and he would teach me. So I went. Sure enough.....I sucked... really bad. I did like the fact that I was getting a lot of exercise without it boring me to tears, so I continued to go. It was also nice to spend some time with Greg. I quickly started to see results and I even improved ( a little) Unfortunately, with all of the hoopla of the holidays, I fell out of my routine and haven't played for over a month........until last night.
I invited Greg to go with me in order to spend a little time together. Thought it would be nice to have a little one on one time and get a little silly. Greg jumped right on the invite and was ready to go in record time. As a matter of fact he was waiting for me in the car while I grabbed the balls. I had NO idea what I was in for. Anyone that knows Greg...KNOWS that he is extremely competitive. I didn't even have time to warm up before the first serve came blasting by me. I looked at him a little confused ......(i was thinking ..hey take it easy on me....remember?) One to zero.....
The second serve flew past me like a rocket....I didn't even make an attempt (have you ever chased a rocket??? didn't think so) What is the point of chasing something that's not physically possible to catch.....I say save your energy! 2-0 .....by now I'm getting the glare. Yikes!
Greg started to protest my effort. He felt that I wasn't trying hard enough. I have never played him for bragging rights...only for fun, but he was serious. The points against me started to pile up. He started to mock how stiff I ran. Next, came the trash talk.....not for fun.....for real. Are you kidding me? The thought of fun had already left my mind and I was now in survival mode....help! In an effort to "up the level of play" Greg started a new game with the score 14-0. I only had to make 1 point to win. (generosity...or is he mocking me) By now I was in a mood and Greg was focused on winning. He ran hard to get to the next ball.....only to plow me over and knock the wind out of me! "Move!" he shouted. Okay.....time out! What the heck! Clearly he is in the need for a SERIOUS game of racquetball and some SERIOUS competition. Why are men so competitive? I'm out! I wanted to take my toys and go home. Bottom line....if your man is competitive.....and your used to being his sweetheart...........racquetball is bad for your marriage! (I still love you babe!...but no more racquetball!)
P.S. He did say sorry for yelling move.

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious (and only because I can totally see it happening to me too)! I love the play-by-play! Let's send our "boys" out to rough and tough it, and then have couple time doing something calm, like at the movies or something. And after the baby, I'll go play racquetball with you (you'll probably whip me).
ReplyDelete-Chrissy
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am seriously laughing out loud over here. I have never met your Greg and yet I can totally picture Busse doing something like that. (Sorry, can't seem to get used to calling him Greg!) I once, emphasize the ONCE, played with Naki, and quickly learned the same lesson you did. I have to say, I can't believe he plowed you over! What is that all about?! I'm sure he just didn't see you, is all. Still laughing...
ReplyDelete